The Manor of Upper Gravenhurst alias la Hyde
Volume II of the Victoria County History for Bedfordshire was published in 1908. It states that this manor is “very problematical”. In 1377 William de Risceby was stated to hold the Manor of la Hyde for life, it belonging to Agatha, wife of Henry Barker of Hitchin [Hertfordshire]. On de Risceby’s death the manor was to pass to Gerard Braybrook and his heirs. However, the de Risceby family seems to have kept told of it because in the reign of Henry VI (1422-1461 and 1470-1471) John Risceby left it to his wife Alice, whose second husband was John Cavendish
The de Grey family arms
Cavendish bought the reversion of the manor, however, John Map, William Snowe and others granted reversion of the manor to Lord Grey de Ruthyn. It seems likely that the manor then remained in the Grey family and was absorbed into their other manors in Upper Gravenhurst and Lower Gravenhurst.