Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Upper Gravenhurst > The Manor of Upper Gravenhurst alias Schepehoo

The Manor of Upper Gravenhurst alias Schepehoo

Ramsey Abbey
The arms of Ramsey Abbey

Volume II of the Victoria County History for Bedfordshire was published in 1908. The name Schepehoo - “sheep hill” - was only applied to this manor in the 16th century. Like the Manor of Upper Gravenhurst it was held by Ramsey Abbey [Huntingdonshire] until its dissolution in 1539 by Henry VIII (1509-1547).

De Grey
The de Grey family arms

In 1542 the Crown granted the manor to Sir Henry Grey of Wrest and Anne, his wife. The manor then remained in the Grey family, Earls of Kent and their successors, the Earls de Grey and Lords Lucas into the 20th century. A succession of Law of Property Acts in the 1920s effectively abolished manors in all but name.