Blewitts Hall Stanford
Blewitts Hall January 2008
Blewitts Hall stands on the top of quite a steep slope and overlooks Shefford Mill. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. A plaque on the south elevation reads: "This you may call Blewitts Hall.Finished June 24th 1700". It is built in red brick with a clay tiled roof and comprises two storeys and attics. A 10th century lean-to addition stands to the rear.
The property was listed in a conveyance of 1792 from Robert Henley Ongley of Old Warden to trustees [SL1/203]. It was then in the occupation of John Peppercorn. At some later date the property was sold to the Whitbread family, becoming part of the Southill Estate.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Blewitts Hall [DV1/A24/5a-c] found it divided into three cottages.
By that time the hall was owned by the Southill Estate, forming part of Stanfordbury Farm and the occupiers, running west to east were: Charles Harris; George Heathfield and Fisher. Each one contained a parlour and a kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above and each had a barn with a copper for heating water outside. The valuer commented: "well to these three cottages is in the wood some way off" and "old cottages but fair repair".