16 and 17 How End Road Houghton Conquest
16 and 17 How End Road were listed by English Heritage in May 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They stand near Field Farm and were originally a single dwelling, built in the 17th century, though the building was re-worked in the 19th century. It is of timber-framed construction, covered with cement render, with part of the ground floor having been re-cased in red brick. The roof is composed of clay tiles and the building comprises two storeys. There is a block built in the 19th century, comprising one storey with attics, at the left-hand end and a 20th century brick lean-to at the right-hand end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property found that it was divided into two [DV1/A21/3-3a]. The building was owned by John Cook, of nearby Field Farm. The south-west portion was tenanted by Charles Wibt and a rent of 1/5 per week and comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen and one bedroom downstairs with a further two bedrooms upstairs. The other portion was rented by W Jennings (“to arrive Shortly”) had just a living room and kitchen with one bedroom upstairs. A barn and washhouse shared by the two tenements stood outside