11 to 13 How End Road Houghton Conquest
11 to 13 How End Road August 2016
Though they do not look like it these three properties were built by Bedford Estates - the Duke of Bedford as Lord of the Manor of Houghton Conquest. They were built in 1866.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the properties [DV1/C86/12-14] found that the cottages were as follows:
- Number 11 was owned by J Cook and occupied by J Gadsden, who worked for Cook. Accommodation was a living room and scullery with two bedrooms above;
- Number 12 was owned by Frank Brown and occupied by G Wooding for two shillings per week. Accommodation was a living room, scullery and three bedrooms with a brick and slate barn and earth closet outside;
- Number 13 was owned by Frank Brown and occupied by Joseph Smith at two shillings per week rent; accommodation comprised a living room, scullery and two bedrooms with brick and slate barn and earth closet outside.