Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Upper Caldecote > The Lion Beerhouse Upper Caldecote

The Lion Beerhouse Upper Caldecote

The car wash is the site of the Lion Beerhouse
The car wash is the site of the Lion Beerhouse

The Lion Beerhouse: Hill Lane, Upper Caldecote

This beerhouse lay very close to the Northill parish boundary with Biggleswade, on the east side of the Great North Road. The countywide licensing register of 1876 states that the property was first licensed in 1858. In 1876 it was owned by Charles Maulden of Eaton Socon. Three years later it was owned by Henry and Fanny Dillamore [GK60/1]. Fanny Dillamore died in 1889, her husband in 1907. The property was sold by Henry Dillamore's executors in 1919 to Wells & Winch Limited, the Biggleswade brewers.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Northill was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting the Lion [DV1/C/4/105] finding that it consisted of: a living room; taproom; kitchen; scullery; cellar; four bedrooms; earth closet; and urinal. Water was laid on and trade averaged a barrel of mixed beer per week,  4½ gallons of bitter and a dozen bottles. The takings were always about £7 per week. The valuer concluded: "good decorative repair but flood comes into house".

The beerhouse closed in 1957. The building was demolished in 1994 and the site is now [2007] the car wash at Sainsbury's supermarket. 

References:

  • HF143/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
  • HF143/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
  • HF143/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: mortgage from Henry and Fanny Dillamore to Henry Hunt: 1879;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: mortgage by Henry Dillamore to Matilda Parker: 1880;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: mortgage by Henry Dillamore to George Winters: 1880;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: transfer of mortgage from George Winters to George Paine Winters and D.P.Winters: 1880;
  • HF143/4: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1882-1890;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: mortgage from Henry and Fanny Dillamore to George Winters and John Ulysses Paine: 1887;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: will of Fanny Dillamore (proved 1899): 1889;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: transfer of mortgage by personal representatives of Matilda Parker to George Paine Winters and D.P.Winters: 1889;
  • HF143/5: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1891-1900;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: assignment of mortgage to Robert Winter Croft: 1897;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: grant by executors of will of Fanny Dillamore to Henry Dillamore: 1900;
  • HF143/6: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1900-1914;
  • PSBW8/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1903-1915;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title  abstracting: will of Henry Dillamore: 1907;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: mortgage by Mary Maria Dillamore, Charles Ebeneezer Malden and  Samuel Richard Dillamore (executors of Henry Dillamore) to George Paine Winters and D.P.Winters: 1907;
  • GK60/1: abstract of title; abstracting: transfer of mortgages by Robert Winter Croft, George Paine Winters and Daniel Alexander Paine to National Deposit Friendly Society: 1917;
  • GK60/2 and extract in Z1029/34/2a: conveyance of Lion Beerhouse and 4 acres from Mary Maria Dillamore, Charles Ebeneezer Malden, and Samuel Robert Dillamore to Charles Thomas Lindsell and Arthur Bluett Winch: 1919;
  • CCE5195/3: Tidy Tip land: reference to rear of former Lion: 1959.

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1871-1880: John Clark or Clarke;
1880-1885: George Crouch;
1885-1892: John Day;
1892-1895: William Laver;
1895-1897: Alfred James Churchyard;
1897-1920: James York;
1927: Oscar A.Brown;
1931: Mrs. Oscar Brown
1940: George Burns

Beerhouse closed by 1959