Brook End Upper Dean
Brook End Cottage in 1933 [X504/1]
Brook End was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It is timber-framed with colour-washed plaster infill on the first floor and 20th century brick infill on the ground floor. The roof is thatched and the cottage comprises a single storey with attics. 20th century extensions stand to the rear and at the south end and entry is via a 20th century porch at the rear.
It is possible that Dean Charity School was held in the house in the 18th and early 19th centuries. A 20th century photograph album [X504/1] has a note that next door Pear Tree Cottage was used as the school room, though no evidence is given for this assertion. The history of DeanSchool [CRT130Dean2] suggests that the school was held in a thatched building, which, of course, suits Brook End better than Pear Tree Cottage.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. It is likely that Dean, like most of the rest of the county was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Brook End [DV1/C150/59] found it owned by Fitzgerald Verity Dalton J. P., who lived at Dean House. It was occupied by H. Hart.
The property comprised two living rooms and a kitchen with two bedrooms above. A barn stood outside. The valuer commented “High old place”.
Brook End May 2011