19 Thorncote Green
19 Thorncote Green March 2010
19 Thorncote Green was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th and 18th centuries and noted that it was formerly three properties. The rear wing has a plaque with the date 1757.
The property is of timber framed construction with colourwashed roughcast render. It has a clay tile roof. The front block is the earliest, the 18th century rear block forming overall an L-plan. The whole building has two storeys and attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Northill was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the property found [DV1/C42/72-74] it was “three all in a heap” though noting “was a farmhouse” the building was owned by Mrs. Margaret Ebbs.
The first tenant was Sydney Ebbs who had paid rent of four shillings per week since 1914. His “fair” accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above and one on the second floor. An earth closet and barn with a copper for heating water stood outside along with a cycle shed and store and an old cowshed turned into an onion shed. The valuer commented: “old and poor” and “very poor house”.
The second tenant was Charles Barker who also paid four shillings per week and had a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above and a bedroom on the second floor. An earth closet and barn lay outside. The third tenant was Mrs. Louisa Norman who, again, paid four shillings per week. She had a living room and kitchen with four bedrooms above. Outside, as usual in Northill, were an earth closet and barn. All three properties obtained their water from outside taps.