13 and 15 Thorncote Green
13 Thorncote Green April 2009
13 and 15 Thorncote Green were listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the properties to the 17th and 18th centuries. They are of timber-framed construction with colour washed roughcast render. Number 13 has a thatched roof, Number 15 a clay tiled roof. Number 13 has a two room plan with a single storey and attics whereas next door has a two room plan with two storeys. There are various lean-to additions to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Northill was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C42/66-67] found they were both owned by market gardener Henry Flinders.
The owner himself lived in Number 15 and his accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. A barn and earth closet stood outside and a poultry run lay in the garden. Number 13 was vacant at the time of inspection but another hand has noted that it was later occupied by a Miss Simms. Accommodation was the same as next door, though without the poultry run. Water for both cottages came from outside taps.
15 Thorncote Green April 2009