17 Thorncote Green
17 Thorncote Green March 2010
17 Thorncote Green was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It is built of colour washed roughcast render over a timber frame and has a thatched roof. The cottage has one storey and attics. The gabled porch is 20th century as is the lean-to addition to the south gable end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Northill was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C42/70] found it owned and occupied by Henry Marshall.
The property stood in just under half an acre and comprised a living room, kitchen, scullery and store room with two bedrooms above. A barn, hen house and earth closet stood outside and water came from an outside tap.