17 and 19 Stratford Road
17 and 19 Stratford Road March 2010
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for 17 and 19 Stratford Road [HER 7578] reads as follows: “18th century two storeyed brick building, with a patterned tile roof, barge boards and finials. Pair of projecting gables to right hand elevation. Casement windows. Later one storey extension. The building resembles 4, 10 and 12 and 13 and 15 Stratford Road and all may have been built around the same time
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 17 and 19 Stratford Road [DV1/C148/51-52] found them owned, like most of Stratford, by Viscount Peel. The 1st Viscount Peel had purchased part of the Sandy Manor estate in 1858.
Number 17 was occupied by W. Daniels who paid five shillings per week in rent, a figure set in 1922. His accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and pantry with three bedrooms above. A later hand has amended the entry to read bathroom, one bedroom and w. c. the valuer commented: “Low 1st floor”. Outside stood a brick and tiled washhouse, barns and a pail closet. Water came from a pump.
Number 19 was in the occupation of John Cole who worked for Viscount Peel. His accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and pantry with three bedrooms above. Outside stood two barns, a brick and tiled washhouse and a pail closet. Again, water came from a pump.