Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Stratford > 10 and 12 Stratford Road

10 and 12 Stratford Road

10 and 12 Stratford Road April 2010
10 and 12 Stratford Road April 2010

The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for 10 and 12 Stratford Road reads as follows: “19th century yellow brick 2 storey house. Patterned tile roof. Decorative barge boards. Timber modillion eaves. Double projecting gable with casement windows”. The building resembles 413 and 15 and 17 and 19 Stratford Road and all may have been built around the same time

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 10 and 12 Stratford Road [Dv1/C148/79-80] found them owned, like most of Stratford, by Viscount Peel. The 1st Viscount Peel had bought part of the Sandy Manor estate in 1858.

Number 10 was occupied by W. C. Fox, who worked for Viscount Peel. His accommodation comprised two living rooms and a kitchen with three bedrooms above. Outside stood a washhouse and an earth closet. Number 12 was occupied by Samuel Bondfield who paid £13 per annum rent, which included land on Sandy Heath. His accommodation was identical to Number 10 with the addition of a barn outside.