Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Stevington > 93 Park Road Stevington

93 Park Road Stevington

93 Park Road December 2009
93 Park Road December 2009

93 Park Road Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated it to the 18th century. Like many older buildings in the area it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble, though with roughcast rendering which has been scored to resemble ashlar. The house stands gable end on to the road and is of two storeys with an old clay tile roof. A small stone barn stands at the east gable end.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 93 Park Road  [DV1/C120/11] noted that it was owned and occupied by Charles Field and comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above. A washhouse, barn and earth closet stood outside. A further "large" wood and corrugated iron barn was used as a carpenter's shop and there was a brick and slate lean-to store at the rear. Water came from a well in the yard. The valuer was not impressed, commenting: "Very poor".