23 and 25 Church Road Stevington
23-25 Church Road December 2008
23 and 25 Church Roadwere listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated it to the cottages to the 19th century, including them "for group value". They are built of coursed limestone rubble with a façade of brick to the road and they have been colourwashed. They have two storeys and share a slate roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 23-25 Church Road [DV1/C120/143-144] noted that they were owned by H. Corby and occupied by W. J. Aspley and C. Howe, respectively at rents of ten shillings per week. Both cottages comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above and a barn and earth closet outside. The valuer noted that they had been rebuilt and had a new roof at the front.