The Corner House Shelton
The Corner House May 2011
The Corner House was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It is built of red brick with a modern machine tiled roof. The house consists of two storeys and attics and has a 20th century porch.
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The record for The Corner House [HER 2368] notes that it was then called Gramyre House and that a 20th century extension had been added.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. It is likely that Shelton, like most of the rest of the county was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting The Corner House [DV1/C121/24-25] found it owned by William Whitehead of Shelton Hall. The house was then divided into two, the main block along the road being in the occupation of H. Teal whose rent was included in his wages, and the part to the right, standing gable on to the road was occupied by W. Neal who paid no rent. It is interesting that from some time before 1869 until at least 1903 George and then Elizabeth Neal ran an off-licence in Shelton. They may have been related to the W. Neal living in part of The Corner House.
Teal’s accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms above with an attic above that. Neal’s accommodation was identical. The valuer commented: “High Cottage” and “High Eaves”.