Old Rectory Cottage Shelton
Old Rectory Cottage May 2011
Old Rectory Cottage stands near Shelton church. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It is built of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame and has a clay tiled roof. The property comprises two storeys and has a 20th century gabled brick porch. A later brick addition stands at to the rear with a parallel gable ridge.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. It is likely that Shelton, like most of the rest of the county was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Old Rectory Cottage [DV1/C121/14] found it owned by Mrs. Whitehead of Shelton Hall and occupied by G. Offord , her farm bailiff. The “very good” accommodation comprised a parlour, a living room and a kitchen with three bedrooms above. Three barns stood outside in just over a quarter of an acre of land.