The Rose and Crown Public House Houghton Conquest
The Rose and Crown Public House: Houghton Conquest
We have no surviving documentation of the Rose and Crown as a public house. The earliest reference is in 1771 when William Banner of Gusford Hall, Saint Mary Stoke [Suffolk] conveyed a property formerly known as the Rose and Crown to William Hanger of Houghton Conquest, butcher, together with a pightle (small close) of pasture adjoining and three roods of meadow ground in Little Mead for £75 [WE2235a]. The property was still extant in 1861 [WE2244] though it is not certain where exactly it stood.