Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > CommunityArchives > Sources for Education in Houghton Conquest

Sources for Education in Houghton Conquest

The school sign August 2016

The following list gives all the sources relating to education in Houghton Conquest held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service. Due to the terms of the Data Protection Act records containing personal details of living individuals will be closed in total, or in part, depending on the nature of the information.

  • RH6/2: abridgement of indenture establishing the school: 1632-1659;
  • RH6/4: abstract of title: 1632-1700;
  • P11/28/2: manuscript book including details of the school charity: 1632-1851;
  • P11/25/12: conveyance recites schoolmasters: 1655-1658;
  • P11/25/12: appointment of new trustees: 1659;
  • P11/25/34: notebook containing abstract of deed of 1659 and copies of letters of appointment of schoolmasters: 1659-1852;
  • RH6/3: abstract of feoffment regarding the school: 1659-1700;
  • Fac18/5: a reference in a collection, held elsewhere: “Sidney College: From the Free Schoole at Houghton Conquest in Bedfordshire founded by Sir Francis Clarke kt 4 Fellows and 8 scholars: c. 1678;
  • P11/25/13: extract from the will of Edmund Wylde augmenting Clerke’s foundation: 1691;
  • P11/25/40-41: school portfolios with circulars, reports etc.: 18th-20th centuries;
  • P11/25/14: agreement to sell lands in Aspley Guise to foundation trustees: 1720;
  • P11/25/4-5: purchase of trust land in Aspley Guise: 1720;
  • RH6/5: terrier of trust property in Aspley Guise: 1750;
  • P11/25/6: lease of trust land in Aspley Guise: 1762;
  • RH6/6: feoffment appointing new trustees: 1793;
  • P11/25/10: feoffment of land: 1793;
  • P11/25/54: floor plan of upper storey of school: 19th century;
  • R)27/19-20: payment to school from Houghton Park Estate: 1804;
  • P11/25/18: minute book: 1810-1837;
  • W219: reference to schoolmaster: 1811;
  • P11/25/47-48: school building insurance policies: 1811-1821;
  • P11/25/44: indemnity bond for schoolmaster: 1812;
  • P11/25/7-9: leases of trust land in Aspley Guise: 1813;
  • RH6/8: financial statement: 1821;
  • RH6/10: letter discussing the school: 1822;
  • RH6/11: statement regarding free school and Sunday schools: 1822;
  • P11/25/11: feoffment of charity lands to new trustees: 1823
  • RH6/7: memorandum concerning charity: c. 1823;
  • P11/25/20: notes on charity: 1828-1889;
  • P11/28/11: notes on the school: c. 1830;
  • P11/25/14: appointment of new trustees: 1845;
  • P11/25/42: schools correspondence: 1846-1882;
  • P11/25/21: charity correspondence: 1848-1915;
  • P11/25/19: minute book: 1849-1900;
  • P11/25/59: trust deed: mid-19th century;
  • P11/25/22: charity accounts: 1850-1852;
  • P11/25/49: contract and specification for repairs: 1852;
  • P11/25/55: elevation of school building: 1852;
  • P11/25/56: plan and elevation of school building: 1852;
  • CRT130HOU12: report on the “grammar school”: 1860s;
  • P11/25/52: specification and letters regarding alterations to building: 1872;
  • Z254/88/145: watercolour of school and almshouses: late 19th century;
  • Z502/1: admission register: 1875-1904;
  • P11/25/35-37: cash books: 1875-1904;
  • P11/25/29: school managers’ minute book: 1875-1878;
  • P11/25/46: appointment of schoolmaster: 1878;
  • P11/25/30: school managers’ minute book: 1878-1893;
  • P11/25/39: summary or general register: 1878-1880;
  • P11/25/45-46a: appointment of teachers: 1878-1899;
  • AD3700: appointment of schoolmaster: 1880;
  • P11/25/23: charity receipts and payments book: 1885-1915;
  • P11/25/53: specification and plan for alterations: 1893;
  • P11/25/31: school managers’ minute book: 1893-1902;
  • P11/25/45: appointment of schoolmistress: 1899;
  • CHR58/4: accounts: 1901-1907;
  • P11/25/38: bank book: 1902-1910;
  • P11/25/38: school managers’ minute book: 1902-1910;
  • P11/25/33: school managers’ minute book: 1903-1909;
  • E/SA3/1/2: managers and inspectors reports: 1903;
  • E/TE5/3: details of teachers: 1904-1908;
  • Z502/2: admission register: 1904-1909;
  • E/IN1/1: inspection reports: 1907-1933;
  • E/TE5/4: details of teachers: 1908-1912;
  • Micf38/33: log books on microfiche: 1909-1982;
  • CHAR58/5: educational foundation accounts: 1916-1954;
  • E/PM3/1/4G: Evacuee attendance register for Saint Joseph’s School Highgate at Houghton Conquest: 1939;
  • P11/25/69: new charity scheme: c. 1960;
  • Z53/62/6: photograph: 1961;
  • CA2/666: playing field works: 1961-1977;
  • PCHoughtonConquest6/5 and 6/7: school use of parish playing field: 1963-1983;
  • PCHoughtonConquest26/3: correspondence about school: 1964-1968;
  • CA8/1021: maintenance file on school: 1966-1984;
  • PCHoughtonConquest26/2: correspondence on school matters: 1973-1981;
  • PCHoughtonConquest26/1: plans for temporary classrooms: 1978;
  • E/TE2/L/40-41: details: 1980-1985;
  • E/TE3/4: return of teaching staff: 1981;
  • E/TE3/7: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/2: kitchen and other details: c. 1987;
  • E/Pu4/4/113: prospectus: 1995.