Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > CommunityArchives > 37 High Street Houghton Conquest

37 High Street Houghton Conquest

37 High Street August 2016
37 High Street August 2016

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C78/40] found that it was a shop owned by the trustees of J H Francis and occupied by C J Cole whose rent was £30 per annum, which included a small grass field and farm buildings comprising a barn, four pigsties and a slaughter house, though this latter was “not used as such”.

The premises comprised a living room and scullery with two bedrooms above. Water came from a well. Outside stood brick and tiled washhouse and three store sheds as well as the shop. The valuer commented “Good house on Corner … rent is £15 per annum for orchard and buildings and £15 for cottage and shop”.

Charles J Cole is first mentioned in a directory in 1903, as butcher and shopkeeper. His last mention as a butcher is in Kelly’s Directory for 1920. His entry in the 1924 directory is simply as a shopkeeper. He is not listed in the directory for 1928.

In 1955 the property was for sale. The estate agent’s record [Z938/6/23/3] tells us that the seller was Ernest John Hanchet Juffs and the purchaser, for £1,650, was Emily Fitchew from Harrow [Middlesex]. The property is described as containing two double bedrooms, a front room, living room and kitchen as well as a brick-built garage and store shed.