Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Chawston > Little Thatch Chawston

Little Thatch Chawston

Little Thatch March 2010
Little Thatch March 2010

Bedfordshire's Historic Environment Record [HER] lists every historic building and landscape feature in the county. A summary for each entry can now be consulted on-line as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The cottage stands next to Thatch Cottage and is one of four thatched buildings in nags Head Lane, which leads directly off the busy A1.

The Historic Environment Record entry for Little Thatch [HER 12456] notes that it comprises a single storey with attics. It is constrcuted of colourwashed render over brick and has a thatched roof with central and gable end chimney stacks. It dates from the 18th century.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Chawston was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Little Thatch [DV1/C197/133] found it owned by C. Ruff of Thatch Cottage and in the occupation of J. W. Darrington who paid rent of £10 per annum.

The cottage comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. A weather-boarded and tiled barn stood outside. The valuer commented: "Large Garden" and "Rent very high".