Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Chawston > Field Cottage Chawston

Field Cottage Chawston

Field Cottage March 2010
Field Cottage March 2010

Bedfordshire's Historic Environment Record [HER] lists every historic building and landscape feature in the county. A summary for each entry can now be consulted on-line as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for Field Cottage [HER 12460] describes it as an L-shaped two storey structure with a wing of one storey and attics. It dates from the 18th century with 20th century additions and is constructed partly of rendered brick and partly of timber framing. It has gabled thatched roofs, being one of four thatched properties in Nags Head Lane. Field Cottage is sufficiently far from the Great North Road to seem like an oasis of peace and quiet.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Chawston was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Field Cottage [DV1/C197/134] found it owned by J. Richards and occupied by J. R. Odell, who owned Scuttle Cottage. He paid rent of £4 per annum.

The cottage comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. There was also a store room. A brick and tile washhouse stood outside as did a plaster and thatched hen house. Another hand has added that kitchen sink had no water laid on, and that there was also a larder and a brick and tile store house.