Brook Cottages Chawston
Brook Cottages March 2010
Brook Cottages stand just back from the busy Great North Road, a slightly unexpected sight along a road which is, at this point, dominated by more modern construction. The cottages are named for the South Brook which flows nearby.
The cottages were listed by the English Heritage as Grade II, of special interest. They dated them to the 18th century. They are constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame and have a half-hipped thatched roof. They comprise one storey and attics. Various 20th century one storey additions stand to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Chawston was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Brook Cottages [DV1/C197/98-99] found the structure owned by Harry A. Dalton, the farmer at Bridge Farm, and divided into two dwellings.
The cottage to the north-west was occupied by E. T. Usher who paid rent of 2/9 per week. The dwelling stood in just over a quarter of an acre and comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. A weather-boarded and tiled pigsty and store barn stood outside. The valuer commented: "Nice".
The cottage to the south-east was occupied by H. Folbigg at a rent of 3/6 per week and comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. A weather-boarded and corrugated iron barn stood outside. The valuer commented: "Very Nice".