Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Pegsdon > Pegsdon Grange

Pegsdon Grange

Pegsdon Grange April 2015
Pegsdon Grange April 2015

Pegsdon Grange was formerly called Pegsdon Barns. It was listed by the former Ministry of Works in 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates from the 16th century, though reworked in the 18th and 19th centuries. It was originally timber-framed, and some close-studding is exposed on the east elevation, infilled with brick. Most of the property was either re-cased in red brick or rebuilt in the 18th century. The next century saw extensions in yellow brick. The property is in an H-plan with clay tile roofs. The central block comprises one storey and attics, the cross-wings two storeys. Both cross-wings were extended northwards in the 19th century.

In 1898 a considerable amount of land in various parts of the parish comprising in all 842 acres of the Manors of Shillington alias Aspley Bury and Aspley alias Aspley Bury were put up for sale by auction [BS782]. Pegsdon Grange was Lot 1, described thus: "old fashioned farm house residence distinguished as "Inglenook" which has recently been put into thorough repair and contains on the upper floor – five bed rooms, and landing with cupboard, front and back staircase. On the ground floor – entrance hall, dining room, drawing room, large kitchen with scullery, coal and wood house, tradesmen's entrance, larder and yard with chicken house and earth closet. There is a small pleasure garden with lawn, kitchen garden, barn, stabling for two horses, shedding and yard together with several enclosures of good arable, pasture and garden land and some chalk downland, affording capital sheep pasturage". Farmland comprised 162 acres, 2 roods, 20 poles of which 102 acres, 2 roods, 12 poles were arable and 58 acres, 1 rood, 11 poles were pasture.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C63/67] found the owner was Sir James Hill and the occupier Miss K Tuke whose rent was £70 per annum.

The house comprised: a small hall measuring 5 feet by 18 feet; a drawing room measuring 17 feet by 18 feet plus 13 feet by 20 feet; a bathroom ("very small"); a WC; a scullery; a pantry; a kitchen measuring 16 feet by 12 feet; a lamp room measuring 12 feet by 7 feet; a maid's bedroom and a dining room measuring 20 feet by 15 feet. Upstairs were: a single bedroom measuring 12 feet by 15 feet; a single bedroom measuring 12 feet by 10 feet 6 inches; a single bedroom ("really landing") measuring 15 feet by 10 feet; a single bedroom measuring 9 feet by 15 feet; a boxroom; a single bedroom measuring 15 feet by 10 feet and a double bedroom measuring 14 feet by 19 feet. The valuer commented: "all bedrooms very small and communicate".

Outside was a tennis court along with a summerhouse, a glasshouse measuring 7 feet 6 inches by 12 feet and another measuring 20 feet by 10 feet, a kitchen garden, a coachhouse and stable used as stores, a lumber place and a garage with an inspection pit. The valuer commented: "No conveniences, bedrooms all very small and communicate, only one double bedroom and two single communicate and one single bed is really landing" also "Water pumped, oil lamps, cess pit".