Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Pegsdon > Methodism in Pegsdon

Methodism in Pegsdon

The Methodist chapel shown on a map of 1924
The Methodist chapel shown on a map of 1924

The date on the front of the former Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Pegsdon was recorded as being 1841. That may mean it is the chapel in the parish of Shillington registered on 19th November 1841 by Charles James Metcalf junor and Thomas Newling, two of the trustees [ABN1/2; ABN2/358]. The registration states that it is a building intended to be a chapel. Alternatively the building may be one of the chapels in the village of Shillington – no denomination is stated on the form.

The chapel in Pegsdon was certainly registered on 9th February 1854 by Wright Shovelton of Chapel Street, Luton, the superintendent minister. This registration was cancelled on 21st June 1977. Bedfordshire and Luton Archive and Record Service has no records relating to the chapel as those that survive are at Hertfordshire Archives [CRT170/6/2], the chapel having moved from the Luton Wesleyan Circuit to the Hitchin Circuit in the mid-19th century.