Bury Farm Pegsdon
Bury Farmhouse April 2015
Bury Farmhouse was listed by the former Ministry of Works in 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 16th century, though reworked in the 19th century. It is a timber-framed construction with pebbledash render, though the west gable and parts of the eastern ground floor were rebuilt in brick. It has clay tile roofs and is built in an L-plan. The east wing has two storeys, the north gable being jettied, that is, the first floor overhangs the ground floor. The north-west wing has one storey and attics. The east wing was later extended southwards.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the farm, on 5th August 1926, found it owned by Sir James Hill and occupied by the executors of G H Ruffell. The farm comprised 205 acres and rent was £140 per annum. The valuer noted: "House occupied by foreman. Plenty of water; a lot of rough grass on the hills cannot be cultivated. A lot of waste on the farm owing to the woods. Buildings will be improved this year". Another had wrote: "Number 57 [Ordnance Survey map number] has always been known as a very good field – hill land of little value. House fair, buildings good".
The house comprised two living rooms downstairs and three bedrooms above. Outside was a barn for wood and coal and an earth closet in the garden ("very bad"). Adjoining the house were: a wood and tiled granary ("above barn which goes with house"); a brick, wood and slate store and mixing house; a wood and corrugated iron lean-to shed and barn and three poultry houses. The rest of the homestead comprised: a brick, wood and tiled cowhouse for seven beasts in three partitions, two loose boxes and another cowhouse; a brick, wood and tiled two bay open shed, loose box, barn and granary with a loft over, two bay open hovel, six bay cart shed, loose box and two bay open hovel and a brick, wood and slate stable for five horses with chaffhouse adjoining.