Robert de Hoo held land in Stopsley in 1245 and in 1291 a man of the same name was granted a free warren in his demesne lands, indicating that the holding was definitely a manor. Thomas de Hoo received confirmation of this free warren in Stopsley in 1338.
Docwra coat of arms
The next mention of Stopsley Manor in the surviving record is not until 1416 when Edward Brassington alias Stopsley, heir of Alexander Stopsley granted the manor to John Gedney and others, possibly as trustees. By 1573 the manor was held by Thomas Catesby who sold it before 1593 to Edward Docwra, Thomas Docwra obtaining confirmation of the free warren in 1617. By 1772 John Crawley owned Stopsley Manor and, as there is no further mention of it in surviving records it seems likely that the manor was absorbed into the wider Crawley family holdings maps show the site of the manor house as just south of Saint Thomas' Road.
Crawley coat of arms