David Ashby Manor Luton
David Ashby Manor was one of twelve minor manors of Luton which were probably never organised on a true manorial basis - as a manor court with jurors, bye-laws and copyhold properties owned by tenants of the manor. The manor first makes an appearance, though not by name, in 1375 when Edward de Kendale held lands and tenements from David de Ashby in Luton.
Rotherham coat of arms
After Robert de Kendale acquired Woodcroft Manor in 1310 the David Ashby lands followed the same descent until the 16th century. In 1531 the Manor of David Ashby appears for the first time in surviving records when it was held by William Markham as husband of Frances, daughter of William Cockayne. In 1585 John Markham settled the manor on George Rotherham and he still held the manor in 1595. In 1602 John Rotherham transferred David Ashby Manor to Robert Napier who held most of the medieval Manor of Luton into which David Ashby Manor was effectively subsumed, although the last mention of David Ashby Manor, in a Recovery Roll, was in 1815.
Napier coat of arms