Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Colesden > Field Cottage Colesden

Field Cottage Colesden

Field Cottage August 2010
Field Cottage August 2010

Field Cottage lies north of the main road to Colesden just east of Laburnum Cottage. It is difficult to judge from the road but it looks like a 17th or 18th century cottage with colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame and a thatched roof comprising a single storey with attics. At the very latest the cottage is early 19th century as it appears on the Roxton inclosure map of 1813 [MA44].

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Colesden was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Field Cottage [DV1/A12/3c] noted that it was owned by Mark Frost as part of Colesden Grange Farm.

The occupier was A. Butteridge. His accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. The valuer commented: "Very bad repair".