Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Colesden > Colesden Grange Farm

Colesden Grange Farm

Colesden Grange Farmhouse March 2010
Colesden Grange Farmhouse March 2010

Colesden Grange Farmhouse is a very attractive building and is clearly visible some way north of the main road to Chawston. From a distance it looks older than it is.

The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains details of every historic building and landscape feature in the county and summaries are now available on-line as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The farmhouse [HER 5894] dates from the 19th century and is built in brick with a tiled roof. It is shown on an Ordnance Survey map of 1884 but not on the Roxton inclosure of of 1813 [MA44]. The HER states that it was formerly listed by the former Department of Environment but was removed from the list in 1983.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Colesden was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Grange Farm [DV1/H13/18] noted that the farm was large at 600 acres as it was a combination of two farms - Grange and Hill farms, the latter now called Colesden Lodge Farm. The two farms were owned and occupied by Mark Frost.

Grange Farmhouse [DV1/H13/19] comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen, scullery, larder and dairy downstairs with four bedrooms and a bathroom above. Two attics on the second floor were not used. Domestic outbuildings comprised a stable and coachhouse. The valuer noted that a pump stood in the yard.

The homestead comprised the following:

  • A "new" brick and tiled corn store;
  • A "new" brick and tiled mill  with a loft over;
  • A "new" brick and tiled tractor house;
  • A brick and tiled four bay cartshed with a loft over;
  • Old buildings including a blacksmith's shop;
  • A wood and slated cow hovel, four bay hovel and fowl house ("very old");
  • A barn with a dirt floor;
  • A bullock hovel;
  • A two bay shed and cart lodge;
  • A fifteen stall stable and chaff barn.