Dean School in 1933 [X504/1]
Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor set out his report in the format below.
DEAN COUNCIL SCHOOL
GENERAL WORKS £5-4-2
SANITARY WORKS £31-4-3
HEATING & VENTILATION£21
NEW WORKS [total] £57-8-5
This is a good brick building, with stone dressings and Tile roof
This is well built and lofty, having a wagon headed, stained and varnished ceiling in roof, of good design, and moulded timbers; the full length is 50 feet 6 inches x 18 feet x 12 feet high to plate, the ceiling boarding being 5 feet higher.
This room is divided by a wooden stained and varnished partition, forming an Infants’ room, which is warmed by a Tortoise stove.
The room is well lighted, with spacious windows, portions of which open.
Air inlets and two Exhaust Ventilators should be provided.
Repairs to Fireplaces are necessary, otherwise these rooms are passable.
The two lobbies need repairs cleaning and colouring
Closets and Urinals
These also need repairs, cleaning and whitening.
More light and air are needed.
A dry earth store should also be provided. These should be converted into Moule’s Closets.
The Urinal on the School wall is very poor, and badly placed.
A soft water tank in the yard appears to be the only water supply for these premises.
The gravel yards require making good.
The yards round by the Offices [toilets] are very poor, and should be paved.
The fencing of yard is very poor, and requires renewing.
External Repairs and Painting should be provided for
N. B. – Since taking these notes some repairs have been done.