Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Stratford > 11 Stratford Road

11 Stratford Road

11 Stratford Road March 2010
11 Stratford Road March 2010

11 Stratford Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in December 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It is a timber-framed building, refaced, like 6 Stratford Road, in 19th century light red, mottled brick. The property comprises one storey and attics with an old clay tile roof with a diamond pattern in fish scale tiles.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 11 Stratford Road [DV1/C148/39] found it owned, like most of Stratford, by Viscount Peel and in the occupation of market gardener William Banes who paid rent of £35/5/- per annum including farm buildings and nine acres of land. The 1st Viscount peel had purchased part of the Sandy Manor estate in 1858.

Accommodation comprised two living rooms, a kitchen and a scullery with three bedrooms in the attics above. Outside stood an earth closet and a wooden barn. Farm buildings comprised: a wood and corrugated iron two bay shed; an old corrugated iron shed; a wood and tiled barn and two stall stable with a loft over and two glasshouses (“poor condition”) measuring 13 feet by 50 feet and 12 feet by 55 feet respectively, both with “Pipes laid on”. One of the glasshouses was “very low (eaves to the ground)”.