Twin Cottage 21 Church Road Stevington
21 Church Road 1960 [Z53/112/5]
21 Church Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated the building to the 18th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble. It has a thatched roof retained by plain bargeboards.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 21 Church Road [DV1/C120/141-142] noted that, as the modern name, Twin Cottage, suggests, it was then two separate cottages. Both were owned by J. Burridge, the more northerly cottage being occupied by M. Toll and that to the south by Mrs. E. Hulatt. Rents were £1/0/6 per annum.
Both cottages comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. Both had a barn and an earth closet outside and a well lay in the yard. They were judged as "poor" by the valuer.
Twin Cottage 21 Church Road December 2008