The Old House 4 Church Road Stevington
The Old House Church Road December 2008
The Old House was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated it to the 18th century. Like many older buildings in the area it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble. The house has two storeys with an old clay tile roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 8 Church Road [DV1/C144/10] noted that it was owned and occupied by W. Poole. The property comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms above. A barn and earth closet stood outside. The valuer commented: "Very good but right on road, Farm house type". He also noted: "No water in yard, about 200 yards".