Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Stevington > Cross Close Park Road Stevington

Cross Close Park Road Stevington

Cross Close Park Road December 2009
Cross Close Park Road December 2009

Cross Close listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. It has the date 1637 inscribed on a first floor panel in a shallow cornice. Like many of the older buildings in the area, it is built of coursed limestone rubble. The house has two storeys and attics with an old clay tile roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting Cross Close [DV1/C120/42] noted that it was owned and occupied by G. B. Poole and stood in just under a quarter of an acre.

The property comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs ("kitchen new") along with a cellar whilst two bedrooms occupied the first floor and two attics the second. A barn and earth closet stood outside along with a "poor" stable and cart shed. The valuer noted that the house was "well built" and the rateable value might be "rather more but Stevington!" Evidently the village was not then as desirable as it has since become.