3 Silver Street Stevington
3 Silver Street December 2009
3 Silver Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated the building to the 18th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble, though the gables are built up with brick above the level of the eaves. The property comprised two storeys and has an old clay tile roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 3 Silver Street [DV1/C120/44] noted that it was owned by W. Hipwell and occupied by R. Cockings, who paid £40 per annum in rent, which included 4.774 acres of land at the rear. The house comprised a living room, kitchen, scullery and washhouse with three bedrooms on the first floor and two attic bedrooms on the second.
A number of buildings stood outside. One of these was a bakehouse, measuring 20 feet by 13 feet 6 inches with a five bushel oven and a flour store over it. A big stone and slate coal barn and a big barn used for a cart formed another block. There was also a brick and tile stable for two horses, a stone and thatch cow shed "used for straw, Big" and a small garage.