36 to 46 Silver Street Stevington
36 to 46 Silver Street 1960 [Z53/112/11]
36 to 46 Silver Street were listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated the terrace to the late 18th or early 19th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble. The terrace has two storeys with an old clay tile roof. There are modern two storey flat-roofed extensions to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 36-46 Silver Street [DV1/C120/71-76] noted that the terrace was owned by C. B. Smith. The six individual properties were inhabited by the following tenants (in rising number order): A. C. Church, W. Rowney, G. Tysoe, Bertha Mackness, C. Aspley and H. Tysoe.
At that date the houses were all thatched and not all were the same size. Five of the tenants had a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above as well as a barn and earth closet outside. Bertha Mackness, however, simply had a living room downstairs and a bedroom above, again with a barn and earth closet outside. The valuer noted that there was also a ten feet square lean-to scullery.
In 1989 planning permission was given for a replacement first floor flat roof at 44 Silver Street [BorBTP/89/1077/LB].
36 to 40 Silver Street December 2009