24 and 26 West End Stevington
24 and 26 West End 1960 [Z53/112/18]
24 and 26 West End were listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated the building to the 17th or early 18th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble, though now whitewashed. The building has two storeys under an old clay tile roof. Number 24 used to be called Cornerways, not to be confused with the red brick building on the corner of Silver Street and Court Lane.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 24-26 West End [DV1/C105-107] noted that it was then a terrace of three cottages, all owned by Mrs. Robinson.
The western portion was occupied by William Jeffs, who paid three shillings per week in rent. He had a kitchen and scullery downstairs with a barn and earth closet outside. He obtained his water from a pump. He inhabited the top room at the back of the premises. The bottom was occupied by P. Mackness who also had the middle cottage. He also paid three shillings per week for a living room and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. Again, he had a barn and earth closet outside. The valuer's comment on the property: "Very Damp".
G. Wildman had the eastern portion of the terrace. He paid 3/6 per week for a living room and scullery downstairs and two bedrooms upstairs with, as usual in Stevington, a barn and earth closet outside. The valuer commented: "Water runs through this house in Wet weather".
24 and 26 West End December 2009