Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Stevington > 14 and 16 Silver Street Stevington

14 and 16 Silver Street Stevington

14 and 16 Silver Street December 2009
14 and 16 Silver Street December 2009

14 and 16 Silver Street were listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The Department dated them to the 17th century and, like many of the older buildings in the area, they are constructed of coursed limestone rubble, though 14 has a colourwashed plaster façade and 16 a frontage of colourwashed brick. Number 14 has two storeys and a thatched roof whilst 16 has a single storey with attics and a corrugated iron roof. .

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Stevington was assessed in 1926 and the valuer visiting 14-16 Silver Street [DV1/C120/87-88] noted that they were both owned by T. Siddons. 14 was occupied by Walter James Harpin who paid £1/6/3 per annum rent. His son, Oliver Francis Harpin, had been killed with the 8th Bedfords in 1917. The house comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. A barn and earth closet stood outside. The valuer considered it "Fair".

Number 16 was occupied by A. Cox who paid £1/6/6 per annum in rent. It also comprised living room, kitchen and two bedrooms above as well as the barn and earth closet outside. The valuer considered this, by contrast with next door, "Awful". He also noted that a corrugated iron roof had been put on over the top of the thatch and this roof survives to the present [2009].