117 To 119 Mill Road Stanford
117 to 119 Mill Road January 2012
117 to 119 Mill Road adjoin Village Farm. The block was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated it to the 17th century in origin, noting that it had been reworked in the 19th century. It also noted that the block had previously been one house.
The properties have a timber-framed construction with colourwashed roughcast render to the exterior and clay tiled roofs. They comprise two storeys.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C152/35/37] found that they were owned by the Southill Estate and tenanted as follows:
- Number 117 – W. Hallwood who paid rent of £7/16/- per annum;
- Number 118 – Mrs. E. Dilly who paid rent of £2/4/6;
- Number 119 – A. Crossley who paid rent of £7/16/-.
Each home comprised a living room, a kitchen ("small") downstairs and two bedrooms and one box room upstairs. The valuer commented: "Been done up"