Hill Cottage Potsgrove
Hill Cottage February 2012
Hill Cottage, formerly known as Arnold’s Farmhouse used to be Grade III listed until that designation was deleted. The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for Hill Cottage [HER 5864] describes it as late 17th century and built from coursed sandstone rubble, comprising two storeys
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property, then known as Arnold’s Farmhouse and owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company, found it divided into two [DV1/A10/2-2a].
The south-west portion was occupied by A. G. Windmill whose rent was 15/2 per quarter. Accommodation comprised a living room, a parlour and a scullery with two bedrooms above and an attic above that. An earth closet stood outside.
Next door was in the occupation of F. Woolhead whose rent was 14/1 per quarter. His accommodation comprised a living room and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. A brick and slated barn a earth closet stood outside. Water for both properties came from a well.