Whipsnade Church Architecture
The church from the south-east March 2012
The list of rectors at Whipsnade starts in 1220. However, the church we see today was not theirs. The body of the church was entirely rebuilt in 1719-1720.
The west face of the west tower March 2012
The tower, built in brick in the late 16th century, incorporates a re-used west door of about 1480. The old bell-frame was probably contemporary with the tower and one of the bells was dated 1630.
The pulpit March 2012
In 1674 the steeple was reported to be "out of repair" and there was no Church Bible. The pulpit is early 17th century and comes, presumably, from the earlier church.
Pulpit detail August 2007