Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Swineshead > Green End Farm Swineshead

Green End Farm Swineshead

Green End Farm Cottage lies at the end of Green Lane. It was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest. It dates, originally, to the 17th century and is timber-framed with chequered brick casing on the south gable end and has a thatched roof. The cottage had a two room plan and comprised one storey with attics. In the 19th century a one storey extension was added to the north gable end, built in chequered brick with a pantiled roof.

In 1927 Swineshead was valued under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting Green End Farm [DV1/H52/58] noted that it was owned by W.Stringer and occupied by L.Bateman at a rent of £35 per annum. The farm comprised just ten acres and the valuer remarked: "Saw Mr.Bateman said lane was wet up to the farm, water from village ¼ mile". He also noted: "Funny Place" and "Poultry"

The farmhouse, the building later listed, consisted of a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. A wash-house and earth closet stood outside. The homestead comprised as follows: a wood and tile cow house for two beasts and another for three; a one bay cart shed; two wood and tile pigsties; a store barn; a wooden hen house; a wood and corrugated iron hen house; a wood and tile food store and a trap house.

Sadly, Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service does not have any further material on the interesting building. This is often the case with a farm which was not contunually part of a large landed estate.