The Kilns Lower Gravenhurst
The Kilns in Lower Gravenhurst stands at the bottom of the hill, south-south-west of the church. The house is built of yellow brick, suggesting a mid to late 19th century date and has a tiled roof. The left-hand portion appears to be a 20th century extension built with similar materials.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the house [DV1/C214/118] found that it was owned by George W Booth of Ion Farm and occupied by C F Misselbrook, who was Booth’s bailiff. It stood in just over one rood of land.
The house comprised two living rooms, a kitchen and a scullery with three bedrooms above. Outside stood a brick and tiled outhouse and a coal shed. There was also a glass house measuring 10 feet 6 inches by 7 feet 6 inches. The valuer commented: “Very nice - high eaves, well built”.