Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Everton > 7 Sandy Road Everton

7 Sandy Road Everton

7 Sandy Road February 2013
7 Sandy Road February 2013

7 Sandy Road is no longer a listed building, having been on the old Grade III listing until this was deleted in 1970. Although the cottage dates from the 17th or 18th century there is a modern brick and tiled single storey extension at the front. The older part of the cottage comprises one storey and attics, is timber-framed with colour-washed roughcast render and has a thatched roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C282/46] found it owned by the trustees of the late Francis Pym as part of the Everton Estate. The occupier was E J Webb who worked for the estate.

Accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and pantry with two bedrooms upstairs in the roof. A washhouse and an earth closet both stood outside and water came from an outside tap. The valuer commented: “Good garden” and “End of barn used by bill poster”.