Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Aspley Heath > Sandpit Cottage Aspley Heath

Sandpit Cottage Aspley Heath

Sandpit Cottage July 2010
Sandpit Cottage July 2010

Sandpit Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in November 1993 as Grade II, of special interest. It is one of the squatters' cottages built on The Heath, in this case in 1810 by William Whipham. It is a timber-framed and rendered, thatched cottage. It has a 20th century projection built at the rear. Unusually the listing notes interior features of note, including: "a narrow fire-window recess to the side of the right-hand stack; mantelpiece and cupboard of early 20th century date incorporating pieces of 19th century neo-Gothic carving".

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Aspley Heath was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Sandpit Cottage [DV1/C260/6] noted that it was owned by James Dudley and occupied by William Munn who paid rent of four shillings per week.

The cottage comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. An earth closet, well and barn lay outside as did a wood and corrugated iron shed and pigsty. No mains water or drainage was laid on. The adjoining sand pit was also owned by James Dudley and produced forty loads per year [DV1/C260/7].