Melchbourne School in 1904
The Old School February 2014
Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor's report [E/SA2/1/1]] took the form below.
MELCHBOURNE SCHOOL AND HOUSE
This is stone built, with tiled roof.
This room is 28 feet 6 inches by 16 feet by 12 feet high to plate, open timber stained and varnished roof, a very well-built room, as are also the whole premises. It is lighted by four cast-iron diamond casement frames, four portions of which are hung for ventilation. Four Tobin Tubes and an Exhaust Ventilator would be a great improvement.
Front Porch – 5 feet by 4 feet 9 inches
This is the only hat and coat lobby.
No Lavatory [meaning a place to wash] is provided here.
These are common privies. They are offensive, and being so near the House and School, should be replaced by Earth Closets.
Otherwise, these Premises are excellent in construction and upkeep.
Coal Store is common to School and House.
The master's House is similarly built, having on the ground floor the following rooms: -
Sitting Room 16 feet by 11 feet
Kitchen 12 feet 6 inches by 10 feet 9 inches
Pantry 7 feet by 4 feet
The Staircase, which is built into small a space, is wholly of narrow winders and sharp risers. It can only be used with the greatest care.
The Bedrooms measure respectively: -
16 feet by 11 feet
12 feet 8 inches by 13 feet 5 inches
7 feet 6 inches by 7 feet 6 inches
These, with landing, are 8 feet 3 inches from floor to ceiling.
The house is in excellent order, and kept very clean.
The Scullery needs a few repairs, and whitening.
House Privy. This should also be converted into an Earth Closet
The water is supplied from a pump in scullery
The Post Office business is carried on in this House