Meadow Cottage Melchbourne
Meadow Cottage February 2014
Meadow Cottage was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. It was probably built under the auspices of the Manor of Melchbourne and dates from the 18th century. The main wing has a single storey and attics and is colour-washed rough-cast over a timber frame, with a thatched roof. There is also a single storey wing which is probably later joining the main wing at right-angles.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C191/54] found that, like most of the parish, it was owned by Lord Saint John of Bletsoe. The tenant was R Welton who was not at home and who worked for Lord Saint John. The cottage comprised a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms with a weather-boarded and thatched barn and wood shed. The valuer commented: "Newly thatched, neat".
On 31st March 1951 Lord Saint John's estate in Melchbourne, Bletsoe and Riseley, known as the Melchbourne Estate and totalling 1,889 acres was put up for sale by auction in 81 lots [AD1147/32]. Meadow Cottage formed Lot 7 and was vacant. It stood in ten poles of land and comprised a living room, pantry and two bedrooms. Mains water was connected. Outside were a large shed, earth closet and large garden. Water came from a public standpipe on the main road. A replacement conservatory was planned in 1992 [BorBTP/92/1124/LB]