Hillands Cottage - 9 Park Road Melchbourne
9 Park Road - Hillands Cottage February 2014
Hillands Cottage was listed by the former Ministry of Public Building and Works in July 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. The Cottage dates from the 17th century and is built of colour-washed plaster over a timber frame with a thatched roof. It comprises two storeys and attics
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage found that, like most of Melchbourne, it was owned by Lord Saint John of Bletsoe. It was divided into two dwellings. The eastern half was tenanted by A. Cooper who paid rent of £2/5/- per annum and the western half was in occupation of H Reynolds whose rent was one shilling per week.
Both tenants had a living room, a kitchen, a scullery and two bedrooms above and a brick and tiled barn outside. The valuer commented: "Nice high cottages" and "Better than most".
On 31st March 1951 Lord Saint John's estate in Melchbourne, Bletsoe and Riseley, known as the Melchbourne Estate and totalling 1,889 acres was put up for sale by auction in 81 lots [AD1147/32]. Hillands Cottage, then 9 and 10 Melchbourne was Lot 1. It comprised 3 roods, 36 poles and was in occupation of A G Lee at a rent of £35 per annum. It had a dining room with open fireplace, lounge with open fireplace, kitchen and four bedrooms. A garden, paddock and earth closet were all outside and mains water was connected.