Mormonism in Girtford
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has not, historically, been strong in Bedfordshire. However, there was clearly a thriving community of worshippers in the mid 19th century around the northerly reaches of the Great North Road in the county, with meetings at Wyboston, Girtford, Thorncote and Upper Caldecote. A Mormon meeting was registered on 6th June 1867 at a building occupied by William Maylin in Back Street. He was a rag and bone dealer and registered the premises himself. The registration was cancelled on 6th March 1876. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has no records relating to the meeting.