The Mount Aspley Heath
The Mount September 2007
The Mount was acquired in 1947 as accommodation for nurses from Edgbury and Homewood until its closure in 1968. In 1927 this part of Bedfordshire was valued under the terms of the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and property was inspected to determine the rates to be paid on it. The Mount was then still a private house, owned and occupied by a Miss Wragg. It stood in 1.895 acres and was a detached building of brick and tile. On the ground floor were three reception rooms 14 feet by 17.5 feet, 17.75 feet by 14 feet and 15 feet by 11 feet respectively, a larder, scullery, pantry, lavatory and wc. On the first floor were five bedrooms measuring 17.75 feet by 14 feet, 11 feet square, 10 feet by 12.5 feet, 10.5 feet by 9.5 feet and 14 feet by 17.5 feet, a dressing room 8 feet by 9.5 feet and a bathroom and wc. An attic and box room lay on the second floor. Outside were a coal barn, washhouse and wc, a dog kennel and garage for two cars. There was an electric light plant house with a 4hp Delco paraffin engine, 1 32 volt dynamo and 16 cells. The house had a tile and iron verandah at the front, a coal bar, food store with a loft over, apple room, store shed and two loose boxes used for poultry. The house had mains water and drainage and electric light all over the house. The grounds contained a tennis court, lawns and a rock garden and ornamental trees.